Location: Kendal, Cumbria Job Type: Permanent Date Posted: 10 July 2017 Ref.: JCP043 Application: 28 July 2017 Salary: available on request
James Cropper PLC is a world renowned specialist manufacturer of distinctive and technically advanced paper products, using materials from cotton and wood to carbon fibre, based in north-west England. This is a fantastic opportunity to join a rapidly-growing listed company with more than 170 years of heritage that thrives on innovation. The company has developed a strong range of technical capabilities, making it a global player in high quality coloured and tactile papers, digital materials and luxury packaging by offering unique tailor made solutions. An international business of around £92m across its three operating divisions of Paper, Technical Fibre Products (TFP) and 3D Products (3DP), it serves markets in the USA, China, the Far East, Europe and the UK.
We are reshaping our Paper business for the future. A new structure that will be better aligned to our strategic priorities and will drive our priority tactics to create a step change in our growth and value trajectory.
We are looking for a visionary and courageous senior marketing leader for our Paper business to shape our destiny and lead our marketing effort. We are increasing our investment in marketing capability and the Marketing Director will drive our ambitious strategic growth plans for the business against agreed KPI’s, building strong customer insights, enhancing our global brand presence, building value in our customer relationships and creating an innovative, sustainable product portfolio.
Reporting to the Managing Director this role will be part of the Paper business senior leadership team. The ideal candidate will be a graduate with experience of developing and driving strategy in an organisation, have expert knowledge of the most current theories and practices in core marketing disciplines and a thorough knowledge of digital marketing practices; adaptability to changing priorities; able to champion multiple initiatives; ability to work effectively in cross-functional, cross-cultural disciplines and within a matrix organisation. Knowledge of the paper industry is not essential although experience in a manufacturing environment is important. This is principally a business-to-business role, but business-to-consumer experience will be an advantage as the company seeks to evolve its business model.
You must be able to inject rigour, discipline and pace into the growth plans for the business as well as driving prioritisation and productivity. You will have a proven track record of delivering results through relentless customer focus, strong entrepreneurial skills and the ability to sustain a high performance team. You should have a creative mind-set looking for new possibilities and bringing new ideas and challenges to the organisation; a change agent willing to challenge the conventional and pilot new ideas and methodologies but sympathetic to the values and heritage of the company; resilience to maintain focus on “what success will look like” and skilfully navigate detractors and non-believers.
• Build an externally focused marketing strategy for the Paper business which defines and creates a longer term direction for our marketing activity allowing time to build capabilities and competencies.
• Provide the external frame of reference for the Paper business strategic plan to ensure that the relevant deployment projects intersect with important, validated macro-economic trends.
• Build a comprehensive marketing communications and public relations programme that will enhance the James Cropper brand image and position within the marketplace and the general public, and facilitate internal and external communications to help increase awareness, reach and ROI.
• Create a best-in-class, integrated digital marketing plan which balances meeting the Paper business marketing objectives with driving current thinking, efficiency and best selection of online tools.
• Lead the development of a product portfolio strategy which builds a compelling current and future product offer which satisfies anticipated market and customer needs as well as embracing leading edge technologies.
• Work with the Paper business technical team to drive efficient and effective commercialisation of prioritised new products. Support idea generation activity especially with a focus on opportunities identified through external market, customer and competitor analysis. Effectively manage the New Product Introduction process, alongside the technical team, to ensure ‘right first time’ introduction of market winning new products.
• Working with key internal experts, lead the design and build a robust pricing model which supports our sales teams in optimising new business generation opportunities whilst meeting paper business financial objectives.
• Define, build and strengthen James Cropper Paper’s sustainability credentials working alongside relevant internal experts and stakeholders.
• Represent the marketing group on the Paper business leadership team. Work with Managing Director and peer managers to agree on marketing priorities and direction. Provide regular updates to the leadership team on activities and milestone attainment. Escalate issues and support needs.
• Create a thriving marketing community which drives satisfaction and engagement amongst the marketers. Build and develop a strong team ethic.
• Encourage and champion an inquisitive mind set within marketing and wider business community. Up-skill the broader organisation in an understanding of the fundamentals of marketing and champion a marketing-led mind-set within the Paper business.
You will need excellent communication skills (verbal and written) in order to build successful communication plans and have experience of managing external creative agencies. An understanding of macro trends is also a must and an international outlook and experience.
Reward and satisfaction will come from being a central player in a team that is already re-shaping the business to move to a position of market leadership. There are strong career progression opportunities within the business.