Global Sales Director
Location: Kendal, Cumbria Job Type: Permanent Date Posted: 22 December 2017 Ref.: JCP051 Application: 23 January 2018 Salary: We offer a competitive salary including 5 weeks holiday and contributory pension scheme. + Bonus + Attractive Benefits
This specialist materials group and makers of fine paper have an operational reach across more than 50 countries. James Cropper is a leader in each of the chosen market segments and your partner for bespoke solutions of new materials, technologies and fine paper.
James Cropper PLC is a world renowned specialist manufacturer of distinctive and technically advanced paper products, using materials from cotton and wood to carbon fibre, based in north-west England. This is a fantastic opportunity to join a rapidly-growing listed company with more than 170 years of heritage that thrives on innovation. The company has developed a strong range of technical capabilities, making it a global player in high quality coloured and tactile papers, digital materials and luxury packaging by offering unique tailor made solutions. An international business of around £92m across its three operating divisions of Paper, Technical Fibre Products (TFP) and 3D Products (3DP), it serves markets in the USA, China, the Far East, Europe and the UK.
We are reshaping our Paper business for the future. A new structure that will be better aligned to our strategic priorities and will drive our priority tactics to create a step change in our growth and value trajectory.
We are looking for a visionary and courageous senior sales leader for our Paper business to shape our destiny and lead our sales effort. We are increasing our investment in sales capability and expanding our global footprint. The Global Sales Director will drive our ambitious strategic sales growth plans for the business against agreed KPI’s; building value in our customer relationships, developing a world class sales team, driving national and international growth and enhancing our global brand presence.
Reporting to the Managing Director this role will be part of the Paper business senior leadership team. The ideal candidate will be a graduate with experience of developing a high performance sales team and driving sales growth, have expert knowledge of the most current theories and practices in the sales discipline including a thorough knowledge of social selling practices and Customer Relationship Management; adaptability to changing priorities; able to champion multiple initiatives; ability to work effectively in cross-functional, cross-cultural disciplines and within a matrix organisation. Knowledge of the paper industry is not essential although experience in a manufacturing environment is important. This is principally a business-to-business role, but business-to-consumer experience will be an advantage as the company seeks to evolve its business model.
You must be able to inject rigour, discipline and pace into the growth plans for the business as well as driving prioritisation and productivity. You will have a proven track record of delivering results through relentless customer focus, strong entrepreneurial skills and the ability to sustain a high performance team. You should have a creative mind-set looking for new possibilities and bringing new ideas and challenges to the organisation; be a change agent willing to challenge the conventional and pilot new ideas and methodologies but sympathetic to the values and heritage of the company; and have the resilience to maintain focus on “what success will look like” and the ability to positively influence non-believers.
- Work with Managing Director to further develop and implement global sales plans in line with the business strategic plan. Provide focus for key markets and geographic expansion aligned to the strategic plan.
- Ensure global alignment and reinforcement of brands, business unit strategic plans, marketing plans and supporting materials, product portfolio, positioning and pricing.
- Manage the James Cropper brand to build a strong reputation and global recognition in our target markets.
- Understand global markets and application value chains to identify potential ‘value adding opportunities’ through creating formal/informal partnerships and recognise high return investment potential.
- Together with the sales team, build and deploy an effective sales excellence model to deliver in line with the strategic growth expectations.
- Apply the product portfolio appropriately to match each market opportunity globally.
- Use customer and territory data/knowledge to drive customer intimacy and to build relationships in prioritised markets and accounts.
- Create a thriving and engaged sales community with a strong business development culture.
- Deliver sales and value growth in line with the business strategic plan.
- Encourage and champion an inquisitive mind set within the sales team in order to seek opportunities in depth with key customers.
- Implement field coaching to drive highest levels of performance and attainment.
- Leverage relevant and appropriate technology to drive sales productivity.
- Drive an accountability mind-set across the sales organisation.
- Embrace reward and recognition and proactively develop opportunities for career development and advancement of the sales team.
- Represent the sales organisation on the Paper business leadership team. Work with Managing Director and peer managers to agree on priorities and direction. Provide regular updates to the leadership team on activities and milestone attainment. Escalate issues and support needs.
- Set the highest example for ethical business conduct at all times.
You will need excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and inter-personal skills. The ability to demonstrate energy, hunger, drive & commitment to achieving outstanding sales results. Excellent management, coaching & development skills. Be results oriented, self-motivated, enthusiastic & dedicated to achieving high performance. Strategic, analytical, innovative, organised and flexible. IT literate.
Reward and satisfaction will come from being a central player in a team that is already re-shaping the business to move to a position of market leadership. There are strong career progression opportunities within the business.