3DP Managing Director
Location: Kendal, Cumbria Job Type: Permanent Date Posted: 28 January 2019 Ref.: 3DP012 Application: 22 February 2019 Salary: Six-figure salary, bonus, LTIP and Attractive benefits
James Cropper PLC is a world renowned specialist manufacturer of distinctive and technically advanced paper products, using materials from cotton and wood to carbon fibre, based in north-west England. This is a fantastic opportunity to join a rapidly-growing listed company with more than 170 years of heritage that thrives on innovation. An international business of around £100m across its three operating divisions of Paper, Technical Fibre Products (TFP) and 3D Products (3DP), it serves markets in the USA, China, the Far East, Europe and the UK.
We are looking for a visionary and courageous Managing Director for our 3DP business to shape our destiny and lead our business growth. 3DP’s portfolio, ColourformTM , provides sustainable alternatives to single use plastics. Colourform’s moulded fibre products deliver highly engineered & beautiful solutions to replace plastic in packaging.
3DP was established in 2016, as a start-up business within the established plc. Since then production capabilities have been fully established together with a strong pipeline and commercialised contracts. The Managing Director will drive our ambitious strategic growth plans for the business against building value in our customer relationships, driving national and international growth and enhancing our global brand presence.
Reporting to the Chief Executive, the successful candidate will be responsible the following:
• Taking full budgetary and P&L responsibility for the division
• Developing and leading the strategy and long term growth plans
• Driving growth and margins through existing and new market development
• Driving product innovation and new product initiatives
• Ensuring that senior management have the necessary skills and know-how to deliver strategies and plans
• Managing stakeholder relationships effectively
• Coaching and developing the team through effective objective setting, regular one-to-ones and appraisals
• developing customer intimacy and building the ColourformTM brand globally.
He or she will need to demonstrate the following:
• An entrepreneurial mindset with an effective track record in building successful, recently established businesses
• Ability to deliver results quickly
• Passion and energy
• Willingness to challenge traditional thinking
• Externally focused
• Agile and free-thinking
• Display pace and urgency, agility and responsiveness in order to quickly learn and develop
• Focus on profitable growth of the business; this requires team development and frequent communication
• Driving growth in sales and profitability
• Coaching and mentoring of senior employees to develop their entrepreneurial skills
• The sales growth is most likely to be achieved through ‘warm’ contacts that we either have relationships with or that approach us
• A speedy understanding of the market for moulded fibre will be required to ensure that we understand where we are likely to have most success
• This should then be deployed through a clear marketing approach including, in particular, a greater emphasis on PR to create ‘warm’ contacts
• Improvements in the sales process, design, sampling and prototyping are all needed to support this
Candidates should be educated to degree level and have a track record of personal business success in different manufacturing sectors. They should have previous direct profit-responsibility for a division or entire company, along with strategic commercial experience. A track record of delivering results in an international business is required, as is experience of delivering significant change/growth.